Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Destiny...


DESTINY…

It was late June or early July of 2003, I don’t actually remember or I should say it really doesn’t matter. I was at Patna and Ranchi was the spot my AIEEE counseling was scheduled. My maternal uncle was there and it was just a 7-8 hrs journey so I decided to travel alone and by bus (hilly areas, daytime, rainy season, what else did I need to decide).

9:35 A.M. I took the window seat, two rows behind front wheel, left side.

Outside, it was drizzling.

10 min later, the journey started. Papa bid good luck and I moved along, looking to him out of the window until he disappeared in the crowd.

Sit straight. Watch the luggage. Don’t take your hand out of window. Don’t talk to strangers as if I am Brad Pitt and every one wants to.

Suggestions!! You wonder parents have how many for every occasion.

I was enjoying the future, the moment 7-8 hrs ahead. Mentally enacting the do’s and don’ts.

Future, we don’t know what we are having, we run after it. Present, we have, we don’t care.

25 min and 20-22 km later we slowed down.

Reason!!

A rail bridge slightly crowded but enough for our bus to slid through. It took the left side keeping a distance of 7-8 ft from the railing. Mid-way the traffic lessened and driver then accelerated the wheels. Everything seemed so normal until a scooter with two loads appeared from nowhere, balancing itself in that small gap and trying to overtake the bus from the wrong side (the driver was seated right-side).

“It isn’t a racetrack dear” I mumbled.

Both were of my age, typical Asian skin color and curly hairs, casually dressed, with of course no helmets. Even more, they were sharing the same cigarette turn by turn. Nothing interesting for me so I engaged myself looking for Someone better.

Just 15-20 sec passed and I heard a loud thud.

What happened?

I leaned further out of the window and found the scooter lying few foot ahead in front of the bus, the wheels rotating hastily.

Where are the boys?

One of them had stroked the railing and was laying there unconscious.

And the other one!!

I got the answer but I really didn’t want like that. The bus jerked as if it had passed over any speed-breaker.

Our eyes met.

He was beneath the bus, with his head just outside enough for me to see what I never dreamed of. A sharp scream and blood spurted out from his mouth.

Our eyes met.

Fear. Pain. Help. I don’t know what they were showing but I know that one more jerk and they were still forever.

I just wanted to shout, yell but couldn’t, who cares even not your own voice. I don’t know for how many seconds I was in that state and don’t know for how many I would be unless the shattering of the glass window hadn’t brought me back in reality.

Two, three and continuously stones started hitting the bus, flying from everywhere. We ducked and the driver tried to push the accelerator beyond the limit. We remained below the seat until someone shouted,

”It’s ok, we are safe now, nobody is following us.”

Safe my foot!

Back to place and murmuring started out. The first and foremost question. HOW?

“The boy riding the scooter was returning back the cigarette when he saw a slab of approx. one foot in height, blocking their way. Instead of stopping, he tried to overtake the bus and got the hit. He was in such…”

Someone behind was explaining to every one as if narrating a paragraph. No sentiments. No emotions.

Aaj kal ke ladke…” (The new Generation), a common comment passed.

Now I really wanted to answer that but stopped, feeling this time he was right, the mistake was of the two knocked down.

“Sab kismat ka khel hai bhaiya. Warna umar hin kya thi unki…” (Whatever happened was predefined. It wasn’t their age to die), one more plaintive comment.

“Pata nahi pariwaar waalon pe kya bitegi. Kahin ghar ka aakhiri sahara na ho. Ram bhala kare” (don’t know how their families will take this. May not be the only child. God Ram, give them the courage to bear the truth.)

One more and I really wanted to shout, “Shut up and stop these passive comments.”

A thunderstorm and tears kept pouring as if no wishes to stop. The bus was on a run. Driver had tried two three shortcuts and different ways just to keep him safe. In between for 5 min, they stopped and contacted someone from the local booth.

“Pata nahi kya hoga. Kare kaun bhare kaun. Kahin police-wolice ka chakkar na lag jaaye bhagwan” (God, keep me aloof from police cases. I don’t want to get penalized for other’s deed.)

Help me God. Prayers. Sometimes they look so cheap.

I closed my eyes but couldn’t. How could I? Two red eyes, staring me. I tried to look outside, still couldn’t. The reflection, I was face to face with myself. Can’t take it more…

“Jo hona hai wo hoga. Hamare hathon mein kuchh bhi nahi…” (Nothing is in our hand. We live on our destiny.)

How true. O Really. I don’t think so.

I punched the front seat.

Ouch…

The man, his eyes were still on me as if I was a harebrained. I replied with a short “go to hell” look.

When? What time is it? When will I reach?

Seconds seemed like minutes and minutes like hours.

Relativity, may be. Einstein.

My god, I was thinking of physics.

Mind. Can’t it be controlled.

No reply. Silence. Just few mumblings.

Rain drops striking the glass window and flowing down.

No effect they have on inner side.

Everyday we read of accidents, deaths, bloodsheds.

No effect they have…



------------------------------


“Someone is following us”. A shout, enough to create a buzzing environment.

“Who?” “Where?” “Police?”

“No, a bike.”

“Fast, move fast”

“How many?”

“Two.”

“Stop, they are shouting.”

“No. Don’t stop. Move fast”

My heart really started beating now as I could hear the sound in my mind.

Few minutes later they overtook.

“STOP!!”

Screech.

The driver really agreed and the bus came to a halt.

Why. I didn’t know, atleast not till we remained sitting there puzzled.

Once again the journey continued. It was already getting dark.

Afternoon!! Yes but due to rain and grey clouds.

“Who were they? Why we stopped?” I wanted to ask but there were more curious beings than me.

“Oh, he was the owner of the dhaba (highway side hotels) where we scheduled to stop for lunch. Since the driver neither stopped nor informed them, they smelt something and chased us. The driver had agreed to pay him around 1k bucks for the food that got wasted…”

He continued explaining but that was enough for me to sigh and sit back.

After 2-3 hrs later, we stopped again.

Now what. It wasn’t Ranchi.

“Everybody out.”

That was conductor and the sound was more like an order than a request. What the hell…

“Why?”

“We have arranged another bus for all. This one will stay here.”

Nice ploy. Whatever. I had nothing to do. I just wanted to wind up all. But think and done, that’s not life.

Move along…Move along….

3 P.M. perfect 90 degree. Still 2-3 hrs left and no meal. God…

The new bus was more like an antique collection than a running one.

“Will it move?” I thought. It really!!

Approx. 3 hrs later, I was getting down with my luggage.

Finally

Few steps and a scooter crossed me. Three guys of my age, laughing. I closed my eyes. Two drops, I don’t know from where.

I wanted to wipe them but something stopped me.

When its raining, let it rain.

I asked about the address to a passerby. First he looked into my eyes then the rain and after shaking his head told me the way.

I must say I had hated walking in that rain.

Buzz. I pressed the call bell. Took out the handkerchief and dried my face, hands and eyes.

“Hiiiiiiii….come…come…mummy, amitesh…why are you so late. Oh , rain…howz everybody home...must be ok …”, It was Di (sister).

She kept asking questions and replying back. Girls !!

I don’t know how I responded there but with those awry looks on their faces, I must admit, in an absurd way.

I just wanted to sleep. And I got the chance, finally, after 5-6 hrs. No comments.

--------------------------------

“A very good morning to you.”

“Good morning Di”

“By the way, it’s over 10…mister. Wake up na”

‘Umm……..”

“Go, fresh up. I am making the breakfast. Papa is waiting for you in the dining room”

“Uncle. Still here. Office? Oops today’s Sunday”

So, I freshen up.

“Di, where’s the paper”

“On the dining table. Aur kahan”(and where)

In any other Sunday, I would go for the movies, cartoons and other stuffs but…

It wasn’t like always. I opened the city news page.

Nothing. Look again. You have missed.

No. Nothing. May be in another page.

No. Not here also. First to last, yes I didn’t even left the sports page. No news.

“What happen?”

I saw aunty pointing out of the window and saying something to Di.

No reply. They hadn’t heard me I think.

I moved closer and tried to peep through.

“What happen?” I repeated.

“Nothing. An old beggar was there in that corner” she pointed towards a garbage spot. “He died this morning may be because of cold and rain.”

A begger. A man. A Human.

Died.

NOTHING.

Di called from kitchen and aunty left, giving me the whole space to look through.

Crowd. Mummuring, whispering, commenting. Not again.

“Who was he?”

“No idea. I think he was alone. No one even knows his name.” Aunty replied, “Sab kismat ka khel hai, jo likha hai hoga hin. Tum aao, chhodo unhe” (just leave them. Everything is in accordance of destiny)

“Breakfast readyyyyyy.” Di shouted.

I continued looking.

“Leave that. Thanda ho jayega” (eat it warm)

“Coming”

I slid back the curtain and turned my face away. The newspaper was still in my hand.

No news.

Some deaths are unknown.

Some dead have no name.

DESTINY

------------ Amitesh

 

4 Comments:

At 14 June, 2006 06:03, Blogger aneez backer said...

i read the first few lines, scrolled to see how many more lines i have more to endure....while the page was scrolling down I slept..woke up to discover tht ur blog can the subdue the claim of mahabharata as being the longest epic.

anyways, I read a few tit-bits here and thr..found them humorous(i hope i am not too generous)....gotta go back to work....

 
At 14 June, 2006 09:00, Blogger Satish said...

leader,
i never knew that u wrote a blog
that was indeed heart-touching one!!
u have the art of expressing ur feelings man!!!
anyway, i liked the way u presented it.
Thanks for giving us a chance to read it :)

 
At 16 June, 2006 21:13, Blogger Udham Singh said...

Nice Writing man.. Specially, I loved the description after you came back to home. Keep it up.

 
At 04 July, 2006 10:18, Blogger Ujj said...

beautiful as always..though I found it a lil short..can i offer you an unsolicited advise, when you start getting the flow of writing dont stop urslef, u can always edit what uve written afterwards..whenever i read ur blogs i feel they have been pruned before their end comes..let the end come on its own..dont try to reach it..cool never the less..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home