Saturday, July 09, 2005

Do U Believe in GOD? Which GOD?


This page is, as the heading says, all about feelings and emotions (practical).

It's my 1st Blog and thus starting with the most recent experience.
Since I am not able to remember the actual conversation entirely, am using few of my own words but keeping the essence intact.
Do Comment. good, bad, worse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do U Believe in GOD? Which GOD?

5th June, 2k5. My 1st Sunday in Aamchi Mumbai…Memorable…but not only for just being there…

I had gone to meet my ORKUT friends to IIT (powai). It was about 7 in evening when I had taken a train from ‘Kurla’ to ‘Panvel’. Mumbai’s local trains have a plus point; you don’t need to waste your energy getting on or down. The local public will do it for you.

I got a seat (good luck). The person next to me was a whitish young man in his 26-27th year of age. Clean shave, nicely dressed, gentle look, holding a bag of some company in his hand, tightly.

“At what time it will reach to Panvel?” I asked.

“I don’t have a clear idea.” He whispered.

I engaged myself looking out of the window to the concrete jungle.

“At 7:40 apprx.” He had broken my thoughts. He was holding a small ‘Local Train guide’.

A good companion in just 5 rupees.”

I nodded.

“What’s your good name?”

Peter” [name changed] “and yours?”

“Amitesh”

“New in Mumbai?”

“My first visit.”


“From where?”

“Currently in Ahmedabad. Doing BTech there. 3rd year”

“Why in Mumbai?”

“Internship. In DAKC, Navi Mumbai”

“Ok”

“Are you going to Panvel?”

“ No. To ‘Kharghar’ (3 stops before Panvel)”


At ‘Vashi’, crowd lessens. I moved to the window seat. He too, next to me again.

”What do you do?” I continued.

“In a private job, in central Mumbai.”

“Coming from BCT?”

“Ya”


I glanced on the company’s name written on the bag. It was one of InfoTech type. Something doubted me…O ya…

“Today’s Sunday! How come your office open?”

He had a surprised look as if not anticipating this question. He took his time. Two-three deep breathes.

“I had gone for my regular ‘Sunday Prayer’”.

“Sunday Prayer! From Panvel to Central Mumbai!”
I returned the serve.

He again took his time. Few more breathes, and then slowly he opened.

“Actually I got everything from that church. That’s why.”

He looked to me, accepting I want more he continued…slowly…

“Actually Amitesh…I was a ‘Smoker’ and ‘Drunker’ few years back” few more breathes ”taking ‘Life’ as nothing but…”

“But when I walked into that church first time it really…I don’t know how? It really changed my life…” he was excited, ”you know Amitesh, people say that churches are using ways, changing the religion to Christianity but…but I say it’s totally rubbish…they are doing a great work… they are making us to believe. “
I was just nodding for everything.

“ You know, when you have belief you have everything…it…it makes you true…you do right…think right…” a strange look to me then “I know today’s generation thinks its all absurd…Science and Knowledge is everything.”

Knowledge HAS Power…True but…Belief IS Power.”

“Today I am happy with my life…I know I don’t have everything but I have peace…I have...”
His mobile rang.

“Ya, I will be there…in just 15 min…I am in train…Kharghar is the next stoppage…ok, bye”Mobile went back to the pocket.

“My friend…waiting”

My eyes just fixed on his face. Normal but a determined look, moistened eyes, dark circles around but glowing.

The train had slowed down…Kharghar was the stoppage.

“Do you worship, Amitesh?”

“Ya”

“Visit Temples?”
Hmm…not frequently” I was saying not what I actually intended to “Look, I visit Temples, Mosques. Been to Churches and Gurudwaras” Now he wanted more “Next Sunday I have planned to visit Mahalakshmi Temple, to Hazi Ali dargah and to Church gate also…” I was not looking confident at all “ actually I…”

“Do you believe in GOD?” He interrupted. Expressionless face. But his eyes searching for something. What? I don’t know, but searching…Yes…

“Ya. I do” I slowly and firmly replied.

“In which GOD?”I was not ready for that question. Dumb…totally…a lot to say but no words…something stopping me…ripples…creating in my mind…moving apart but common center.

The train halted.

“Nice meeting you Amitesh. Hope we will meet again”

HOPE.

“Nice meeting you too.” I replied.

Hope. Belief. Destiny.

He has reached to his destination. I have to…

The train moved on the track again.

Some distances are yet to be covered. I have to…



---Amitesh

 

2 Comments:

At 16 June, 2006 21:15, Blogger Udham Singh said...

I think this was the same day when you came to IIT... Even if it didn't have my name, I could relate it to memory section of my brain. Good work, thought provoking.. Finally, have you thought which God do u believe in?

 
At 05 November, 2012 22:22, Blogger Rayan said...

good to see this side of you, Amitesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home